By Eric Scerri
Instead of concentrating on the common sense and rationality of technology, Scerri elevates the function of trial and mistake and a number of discovery and strikes past the thought of clinical advancements being wrong or right. whereas criticizing Thomas Kuhn's thought of medical revolutions he is of the same opinion with Kuhn that technology isn't drawn in the direction of an exterior fact yet is very pushed from inside. The ebook will brighten up the long-standing debate at the nature of technological know-how, which has more and more shied clear of the large query of "what is science?"
Read or Download A Tale of Seven Scientists and a New Philosophy of Science PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
We are living in a global made via technology. How and whilst did this occur? This e-book tells the tale of the extreme highbrow and cultural revolution that gave start to trendy technology, and mounts an enormous problem to the present orthodoxy of its heritage. prior to 1492 it was once assumed that every one major wisdom was once already on hand; there has been no idea of growth; humans searched for figuring out to the earlier now not the long run.
Know-how and technological know-how within the People's Republic of China: An advent tackles numerous components of issues within the technological improvement of China. The name covers China’s learn constitution, clinical assets, and technological priorities. The textual content first reports modern China, after which proceeds to discussing chinese language historical past.
The famous cultural anthropologist and writer of 'The Interpretation of Cultures' deepens our knowing of human societies in the course of the intimacies of 'local wisdom. 'This sequel to the translation of Cultures is a set of essays which reject huge abstractions, going past the mere translation of 1 tradition into one other, and appears on the underlying, compartmentalized truth.
The function of values in medical examine has turn into a tremendous subject of dialogue in either scholarly and well known debates. Pundits around the political spectrum fear that examine on issues like weather switch, evolutionary idea, vaccine security, and genetically transformed meals has develop into overly politicized.
- Nineteenth-Century British Secularism: Science, Religion and Literature (Histories of the Sacred and Secular, 1700-2000)
- War's Waste: Rehabilitation in World War I America
- Our Existence Part 1 : The Nature and Origin of Physical Reality: A straightforward and impartial guide to the science and philosophy of our physical environment
- Hedonizing Technologies: Paths to Pleasure in Hobbies and Leisure
- Grammar of arithmetic, or, An analysis of the language of figures and science of numbers
- Language as a Scientific Tool: Shaping Scientific Language Across Time and National Traditions (Routledge Studies in Cultural History)
Additional info for A Tale of Seven Scientists and a New Philosophy of Science
A Tale of Seven Scientists and a New Philosophy of Science by Eric Scerri